March 24, 2017
5 Life-changing Tips to Lose Weight FAST, Kick-start Your Metabolism & Improve Thyroid Function
As conscious, evolving beings, we are constantly taking steps to improve; we read the labels. We watch what we put on our skin and in our hair. We wear sunglasses to protect our eyes. We wouldn’t smoke cigarettes because we now know that’s terrible for the lungs (and it’s also pretty gross). But, at one time that info wasn’t common knowledge, and it caused a lot of grief and suffering for a lot of people. We know better now. If you’ve been blessed with a family, children, a purpose, a meaningful career, perhaps all of the above (lucky you!), you owe it to yourself to take care of the body you have that allows you to live your amazing life. My body has enabled me to do some remarkable things, which is why I show gratitude for my body by caring for it in the best of ways. In return, my body continues to serve me with healthy, pain-free days, a sharp intellect, an abundance of energy and so much more. This has not always been the case, however.
For those of you who have known me a while, you may recall me spending much of my teens & early 20s sick; I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) at a young age, and then sentenced to a lifetime prescription of thyroid medication, constant blood work, a weakened immune system, and painful medical rituals “for life”. I recall many medical professionals discussing how my body would “probably never function perfectly” and how I’d “always struggle” with weight, hormones, and metabolic issues. Well, it brings me great joy to announce that they were all, in fact, completely wrong.
Doctors had recommended ways to adapt to those setbacks; no one ever told me I could one day solve the problem, only how to cope with it (via antidepressants), and how to treat it (with synthetic hormones and chemicals). It’s as if no one knew that making some simple lifestyle changes and turn things around. Completely. Thankfully, now we know how to care for the inside of our body the way we do the outside. Just like avoiding cigarettes to care for your heart, there are little things you can do or avoid to care for your thyroid (and a every other vital component in these dynamic machines of ours).
DISCLAIMER: Before I go any further, I want to be very clear; this article is simply a recollection of my own journey. The information presented is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. This is not medical advice; this is only diary of my experiences, supported by science and medical journalism.
Many of you have asked how I stay fit while I’m so busy, and even more of you have wondered what happened to all my health problems from my earlier years. These inquiries have inspired me to put together a guide to what I refer to as my Conscious Cleanse; the detox cleanse that made a phenomenal difference in my overall wellness and turbo-charged my efforts in self-improvement and general evolution. The cleanse I’m talking about is not your average detox; this is for those who are serious about changing their health for good. It’s a deep, intense cleanse that can have some very powerful effects on the body in ways you never imagined. I can’t wait to share it with you, so please sign up for my newsletter so you will be the first to know about it when I’ve put it all together.
Until then, I want to share with you the 5 most significant changes I made to achieve a slimmer, healthier body that I discovered on my way to creating the aforementioned cleanse. Alongside these ideas are some of my favorite healthy substitutions; click on any of the images and it will take you directly to their respective sites for more info on those products. And, for the record, I have no affiliation whatsoever with those brands, I’m simply a fan of what they produce.
The following details HOW I got my health on track and (as a result of my improved health) wiped out my thyroid issues once and for all, among other looming issues. I feel like this topic is wildly underrated and the answer is always just prescription and treatments. That’s fine for some, but not for me. The cleanse is intense, and jumping into it could seem overwhelming, so that’s why the following list is so important; this is what I did BEFORE the cleanse that paved the way to better thyroid health, a healthier immune system, and a functional metabolism, not to mention shedding weight FAST. Keep in mind, these changes I made were not instant, and it came after years of trial and error cutting things out, adding other things, etc. Hopefully my experimenting will save you the time & frustration it caused me going at it blindly. And, don’t beat yourself up if it takes a couple tries to remove some of these things from your life. But, no matter what I took (RXs, herbal supplements, etc.) nothing really made any difference in my actual wellness until I did the following:
1) ELIMINATE DAIRY (especially milk, processed cheese, and cream). There are plenty amazing dairy-free alternatives, like almond milk and cashew cheese, even goat cheese isn’t so bad because its lactose free and Greek yogurt didn’t seem to harm, but I noticed that dairy products completely interfered with my metabolism and immune system. There’s actually research to show the opposite may be true for some, but for me and my lame thyroid, cutting it out made a significant difference in my hormones, skin, hair (which always used to fall out constantly being on medication), and on the amount of acid in my body. Of course, antibiotics given to cattle and bovine hormones can interfere with our own delicate systems. But, I didn’t notice until I really cut it out of my diet. Having high amounts of acidity from dairy products caused a ton of discomfort in general, and kept me feeling sick practically all the time. Illnesses have a hard time surviving in a body that is in a state of healthy alkalinity, however, and being as dairy-free as possible gets you MUCH closer to that state.
2) REDUCE SUGARS (especially processed and “added” sugars). There is plenty of natural sugar in fruit and veggies, so there’s no need to add onto that. Ever. Sugar always left me feeling sluggish (and somehow always craving more sugar!). Sugar also kept my blood from circulating properly (my hands & limbs would be cold & my core would be hot ALL the time, so uncomfortable). As soon as I stated to cut it out of my diet, my circulation improved and my body was able to start burning other important stuff, like fat.
We all know that sugar can easily cause weight gain and is basically empty calories with no nutritional value, but there’s so much more to sugar than we think about on a daily basis.
Healthline.com expert, Alan Greene, MD, speaks out about it in his medical journal, “evidence is mounting that too much added sugar could lead to true addiction.” Nearly everyone can relate to this too; too much added sugar really is a difficult habit to break, mimicking the effects of addiction via desensitization, cravings, binges, and even withdrawal symptoms like headaches, nausea, stomach pains, etc.
Now the “added sugar” we’re talking about here isn’t the type found naturally in fruits and vegetables, it’s the type you see on the list of ingredients as: sugar, cane sugar, molasses, brown sugar, raw sugar, whatever-sugar – it’s all unnecessary unless it’s naturally occurring in another food item, and even then you should keep an eye on it.
Sandi Busch of Demand Media breaks it down best, “Fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts and whole grains contain simple sugars. When simple sugars are naturally found in whole food, they come with vitamins, minerals, protein, phytochemicals and fiber. The presence of fiber makes a significant difference because it slows down the absorption of sugar, which moderates its impact on blood sugar. Natural sugar in whole food is good sugar. When any type of sugar is added to foods during processing, cooking or at the table, you consume calories without any nutrients or fiber. This type of sugar, called added sugar, is bad sugar.”
Addiction worries and self-control issues aside, added sugars can play detrimental role on the health of your glands, particularly the adrenal, thyroid, hypothalamus, and pituitary. The repeated effects of sugar on your hormones and release of stress chemicals is hard on the body, and also a major source of weight gain, especially in the belly. When your glands are functioning poorly, a number of other health issues can occur (that’s a whole other topic in itself). But, two of the most common are heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes, neither of which is pleasant.
3) SAY “NO” TO WHEAT & GLUTEN (including refined wheat flours, whole wheat, and GLUTEN – any / all of it, even if you are not “celiac”). I noticed I never felt energized from food. I felt two things- either “hungry” or “way too full”- so frustrating! Gluten interfered with my body’s ability to extract nutrients from healthy foods. It wasn’t until after I completely cut gluten out of my diet that I was finally able to feel energized from healthy stuff, like nuts and spinach (where before, that stuff never filled me up, and I was perpetually exhausted). How? Wheat actually contains phytates, which science refers to as antinutrients; simply put these little jerks block good minerals like iron, manganese, zinc, and much more, keeping them from being absorbed by your body. How rude, right?? Those with Anemia or iron deficiencies should also consider this when making dietary adjustments, as just avoiding wheat could solve a world of problems for you.
Something else interesting about wheat (even in whole wheat – which is really no better for you) is that wheat contains an unusual type of carbohydrate, Amylopectin-A. This “weird” carb stands out as it is notorious for increasing blood sugar levels to the max, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (and a number of other reputable agencies); a small serving of this has a much stronger effect on your glucose levels than even pure sugar alone- yuck, right?? So all this unnecessary fluctuation caused by this one “weird” type of carb, is the cause of many cravings, weight-gain, hormonal imbalances, some types of arthritis, some types of diabetes, and even schizophrenia, according to cardiologist William Davis, MD (author of “Wheat Belly,” which is an awesome read by the way).
But, thank your lucky (and healthy) stars, it’s 2016! Gluten is SO easy to avoid these days; literally everything has a gluten-free substitute. But, do keep in mind all wheat and gluten-containing products must be avoided for a couple weeks before you really start to see the effects, though you may actually feel them the very same day. Even a little in your system can interfere with the bioavailability of certain nutrients in healthy foods and inflame the intestines, without you ever knowing it, but cutting it out was one of the most impactful moves I ever made.
4) CUT CARBS (especially pasta & bread). Even eating low-cal, Gluten-free pastas and desserts still made my weight fluctuate like crazy. It wasn’t until I completely cut out the heavier / starchy carbs that I noticed a dramatic increase in my body’s ability to metabolize things. I was finally able to burn what I ate and use that to fuel good workouts. This was such a relief and also had the biggest impact on my waistline. If you end up missing them, although I doubt you will, you can incorporate smaller portions back into your diet later on, when things are under control, but while I was working on a repairing my system, I found it best to avoid them altogether.
And, last, but one of the most important…
5) DON’T EAT AFTER 6PM, or at least not within 4 hours of bed time. I noticed when my last meal was around 6 pm; my body was able to break down the food and process the meal BEFORE I went to sleep. Then, when I was sleeping, my body didn’t have to spend that time breaking down food. At night, my body was finally free to do what it was supposed to be doing all along, repairing, recharging & restoring my system. I woke up fully rested and needed less sleep in the long run (going from always being exhausted needing 9-11hrs to feel good, down to needing only about 7 hours to feel amazing). Not eating after 6pm is what changed my immune function for good. My body just didn’t metabolize things the way most skinny people’s did, so when my body didn’t have to work so hard to break down food all night, it was able to let my immune system do is job. This truly made such a remarkable difference!
Some of this you’ve probably heard before, but no one really explains why or how it really affects us. I wanted you to understand why it worked for me, and that THIS seemed to be the magic combination that really made a difference in my overall health. I realize there will be plenty of conflicting research too, so remember – this NOT medical advice; I’m sharing the rockiest part of my journey with you and hope that it inspires you in some way to do what’s best for your own body.
Also, not to sound cliché, but all bodies ARE different. There’s a chance this simply isn’t for you. It’s changed many lives around me, so please let me (and other readers) know what works for you in the comments section. Please feel free to experiment with just one to start, and share your success. We’d love your feedback! If I can help with any motivation or healthy recipes before I get to the “conscious cleanse”, just say the word. I’ve been researching these topics for nearly 17 years now, and have gotten great at substitutions and healthy food hacks!
The sad part is; my docs had me so scared that my body would basically just stop working if I stopped taking the meds I had been prescribed, but when I felt healthy enough & knew my thyroid was finally on track, I did stop taking all the pills. And, literally NOTHING bad / scary happened. In fact, I noticed great improvement in my skin, which got clearer, my hair – which finally started to grow, and my mood, which improved drastically not being “sick” and on all sorts of RXs. I even played a little game, and didn’t tell my docs I stopped taking my thyroid medications, then three months later went in for my usual blood work & “everything still looked normal” (then again every three months for a year – same perfect results, as if i had been taking my 2mgs of Synthroid daily). Baffling, considering they scared me into thinking I’d be on medication for LIFE… Anyways, the FDA will probably lock me up after I publish the cleanse info I’m working on, but I’m really passionate about addressing the issue (especially now, seeing that Synthroid is the #1 most prescribed RX in the US, according to WebMD). But, it’s like the saying goes, if you want the truth, “follow the money.”
Much love, and the very best of luck to you and your thyroid!
UPDATE: For more in-depth insight on how to tackle tough health problems like thyroid issues, diabetes, precancerous conditions, hormonal imbalances, obesity, glandular issues, and other common problems, please check out my book, Supremely Being; Demystifying the Deep Cleansing Process. You can learn about the book at SupremelyBeing.com where you can also purchase the book in multiple formats for a variety of devices and preferences.